Skip Menu

Return to Skip Menu

Main Content

Pre-Education Advising Program



The Pre-Education Advising Program is located within the Office of Academic Programs in the School of Education at Virginia Tech and provides support for undergraduate students who wish to pursue careers in Teaching and School Counseling. The program advises students in all curricula as to the specific requirements for state endorsements and graduate school admissions, and assists students in moving toward the goal of becoming competitive applicants and highly qualified educators.

Students who participate in the Pre-Education Advising Program benefit from:

  • Individual and small group advising sessions, designed to inform and prepare students to meet Virginia state endorsement requirements in addition to meeting the requirements for their major
  • Personal mentoring meetings focused on selecting appropriate graduate programs and preparing to meet various entrance requirements
  • Participation in enriching field experiences in local schools
  • Guidance in preparing for Praxis Core, Praxis II, and VCLA examinations
  • Invitations to attend topical workshops, discussion sessions, and guest speakers
  • Leadership opportunities through pre-professional and academic student organizations focused on education.
  • Assistance in identifying and applying for scholarships designed specifically for future teachers (including eligibility to apply for the Mary Karen Read Memorial Scholarship)

To participate in the Pre-Education Advising Program (PEAP), students begin by joining the PEAP Scholar worksite. It is through the Scholar worksite that students can find valuable information about teaching and answers to frequently asked questions. Students can also use the 'Sign-up' feature located on the left-hand margin of the PEAP Scholar worksite to make appointments with the Pre-Education Advising Coordinator. Students familiar with Scholar can add themselves to the site. Click here for downloadable instructions.

Selecting a major

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find out more information about becoming a teacher or school counselor at Virginia Tech?

General information for undergraduates can be found on the College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences website. The next step is to learn about the program that you are interested in. You can find a list of licensure programs on the School of Education Licensurepage. Each individual program link provides information about degrees offered, application requirements, and other valuable student resources. Finally, connect with the School of Education by joining the Pre-Education Advising Program Scholar worksite. Look through the information on the PEAP Scholar site and if you still have questions, use the Sign-up feature to make an appointment with the Pre-Education Advisor. It is a good idea to bring copies of your transcripts and plan of study to the initial meeting.

Why doesn't Virginia Tech offer an Education as an undergraduate major?

That is a State of Virginia decision.  No college in Virginia offers Education as an undergraduate major.  There are some that have undergraduate programs leading to licensure, but the undergraduate degree will not be in Education.  Virginia Tech believes that you should earn your Bachelor’s degree while completing the content knowledge requirements of whatever you plan to teach.  While at the graduate level, if you chose to continue, you will receive courses in methodology and teacher pedagogy, culminating with a teaching license and Master’s degree in Education.

Do I have to join the Pre-Education Advising Program?

No. PEAP is completely voluntary. However, it is strongly recommended that you join even if you are just thinking about becoming a teacher or school counselor. There are no fees and no future obligation. PEAP is simply the most efficient way to stay in touch with the School of Education while an undergraduate student. PEAP provides updates about licensure requirements, education related events, and important deadlines. Some licensure programs have endorsement courses that need to be completed prior to applying. Some lists are longer than others and require that you start early to avoid adding extra semesters to your undergraduate period. Students must be a member of PEAP to make appointments with a Pre-Education Advisor.

How do I join PEAP?

It is very easy. Simply join the Pre-Education Advising Program Scholar worksite and you will have access to information about licensing requirements, teacher assessments, and graduate programs.

How do I make appointments with the PEAP coordinator?

Appointments can be made using the Sign-up feature on the Pre-Education Advising Scholar worksite. You must be a member of PEAP to schedule an appointment.

Should I see the PEAP advisor instead of my academic advisor?

NO! I am a pre-professional adviser, specifically pre-education. I only advise students who are interested in teaching and they come from departments all over campus. I do not know the specific requirements of all undergraduate majors and minors. You should easily be able to meet suggestions from both advisors. The in-major advisor knows your graduation requirements; I know the admission requirements for graduate school.

Will I have to spend extra time as an undergraduate to meet all the course requirements for licensure?

No. Most of the time, if students start early, they can work these courses into the list required by the university and their departments. Transfer credits and P/F courses can also count toward the endorsement requirements.

Can I teach without getting my Master's degree?

It is possible, but highly discouraged. Content knowledge is not enough to be a successful teacher. At Virginia Tech, the only way to get a license is through the Master's program. It is possible to attend a college/university with undergraduate programs leading to licensure, but the degree would not be in education. Finally, a teacher with a Master's degree often starts out making a higher salary than a teacher with a Bachelor's degree.

It is also possible to teach prior to getting your license, but it may not be easy to find a school system willing to hire you when they have so many licensed teachers to choose from. Some school systems will hire a teacher without a license. Those teachers, while they may be strong in content knowledge, are often ill-equipped to handle a classroom full of children and rarely last more than a year. Additionally, they are still required to complete the licensure requirements, including the Master's level coursework, while full-time teaching; the work to get the license is unavoidable.

The Virginia Department of Education does offer alternate routes to licensure, but our office does not provide assistance for alternate routes at this time.


For additional Frequently Asked Questions, please see the PEAP Scholar Worksite.